Love Is Like Tea: Book Review: I Am Second

Thursday 29 December 2011

Book Review: I Am Second



I Am Second is a powerful collection of personal stories, showcasing people from all walks of life. Whether they are major league baseball players, multi-platinum rockers, or soldiers fighting for our country, in I Am Second they bare their souls and speak freely about some of the most challenging obstacles they have faced in their lives. They tell stories of drugs and addiction, of fame and rejection, of war and death. However different their situations may be, they are united in the fact that when they had reached rock bottom, the ends of their lines, they discovered a saviour and found hope. I Am Second: Real Stories. Changing Lives. is about a journey that countless people have travelled, about discovering a love and safety in God, and putting Him first in their lives and shouting proudly to the world, "I Am Second".


At first glance, this book was rather attractive. With a smooth white jacket, simplistic design and bold pink lettering, this was something that would warrant a second glance, even on a crowded bookshelf. Flipping through, there was a centrefold of 16 glossy colour pages, filled with photos of people whose stories were featured in this book. However, I must say, whether the book in itself was attractive or not, the stories inside were what really entranced me. Reminiscent of the well-known Chicken Soup for the Soul series, I discovered that this too, was a collection of inspiring stories.What made this unique though, was that they were all true, personal accounts of finding faith. In each story, the protagonists faced a challenge. These problems were gritty and real. A pastor with a sex addiction. A prostitute molested as a child. A 13 year old girl who lost her arm in a shark attack. Their courage, both in speaking out and in recovering their lives, was profoundly inspiring.

Another thing I loved about I Am Second is how interactive it was. At the end of each story, there was at least one QR code which, when captured on a smartphone, linked to similar stories that could be found online. As well, there were interviews that accompanied each story, and the links to the videos could be found beneath each story. I found the incorporation of technology very refreshing and that it added to the overall experience nicely.

I Am Second: Real Stories. Changing Lives is a gem to be savoured slowly. The stories of hope and inspiration found in its pages are very real and very warm. it is a book made to be reread and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment